How do I make friends (in real)?

Created
PlatinumLoreigh
Level 29
Sex Appeal: 18511
Freethinkerland
01.08.2018 20:31:07
PlatinumLoreigh

So, I was wondering (since I’m really lonely in real) how I could make a friend (or two, or three, or what ever how many..)

it’s not that I’m socially awkward and I don’t have any diagnoses for some anxiety disorders.. i have been through a lot in my life (will explain later when I’m friends with them, or not!) and I’m 25, but I mostly feel and act like 14 and sometimes I can even feel and act like a 5 year old. It’s not that I’m irresponsible or throw tantrums in the grocery store to get candy, it’s just that I’m emotionally a little different: crying over stupid and small things, angry like a child (ignoring someone in a corner over pretending like there’s nothing wrong, which there obviously is), I’m highly insecure about different parts of me, I need a lot of attention, I feel abandoned very often and I get suspicious and jealous about small things. I also like things a 25 year old would’ve long forget about: dolls, Donald Duck books, sleeping with stuffed animals, riding my scooter, coloring with crayons, sliding down a slide or going to the petting zoo. 

I can like ‘adult’ things: reading books, social media and sewing. But I really need a friend who likes me for who I am or even have the same interests. I need someone to calm me down, ‘because there’s nothing wrong with our friendship, but it’s okay to be sad!’ I need to trust someone that they won’t leave for ‘adult’ reasons.

I am loyal though. Which can be a bad thing too, because I won’t leave when you hint me to. And it will break me (again) if you tell me literally!

Can someone please tell me how to find friends?!

01.08.2018 20:31:07
Esuna
Level 46
Sex Appeal: 73378
Reasonopia
01.08.2018 21:14:39
Esuna

I'm 25 as well and I get what you mean in terms of feeling like you have the hobbies of somebody who is a teenager.

Are you actively trying to reach out to people but are getting shut down, or just not making the moves in order to get closer to people? I've dealt with my own depression, social anxiety and weakened self-esteem, but you have to remember that sometimes shutting down, and being difficult is not the best way to address things. People are not mind-readers, your best bet is to work on your ability to accept criticism and your ability to discuss concerns with people who are your friends/potential friends. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, but it's something I've had to address in my own life. Why do I have limited social interaction - the problem was, in fact, myself not breaking down barriers/walls and shutting myself off rather than meeting my friends half way. 

The positive light at the end of the tunnel is that there are actually A LOT of people who have interests like you, at all age ranges. I'd encourage you to perhaps check out a fan expo, or comic con as it's not just centered around video games/anime etc, a lot of times its just people who are adults but kids at heart. Look up in your area to see if there are any adult colouring nights/paint nights. Where I live there are also things such as indoor trampoline parks, jungle gyms/obstacle courses etc that adults DO go to lol, in fact, I'm going this Sunday. There are also apps for your phone that can help you find friends based around your interests (I'll have to look up the name) but it's basically tinder for friendships only. Just have faith and be open, there are people just like you - it just takes bridging the gap to get there, which can seem impossible when dealing with lots of insecurity.

01.08.2018 21:14:39
 Very busy with school at the moment, so temporary hiatus D:.
Hunni
Level 34
Sex Appeal: 30039
Freethinkerland
02.08.2018 22:03:16
Hunni

I second Esuna. Maybe try find your way into geek circles through local boardgame or roleplaying groups. They tend to be a crowd who understands liking things that are often seen as being "immature" hobbies.  Through a local boardgames group I know people in their thirties who collect star wars lego and transformers comics and are proudly enthusiastic about it.  Local gaming shops also sometimes have evenings for boardgames, miniature painting and similar hobbies which might be another way to meet some of the right people.

02.08.2018 22:03:16
I visited the patriarchy and all I got was this externalised sense of self worth.  And an uncomfortable tshirt.
PlatinumLoreigh
Level 29
Freethinkerland
03.08.2018 15:06:57
PlatinumLoreigh

I’ll respond soon! Thank you both!

03.08.2018 15:06:57
Esuna
Level 46
Reasonopia
03.08.2018 15:43:53
Esuna

Hunni wrote:
I second Esuna. Maybe try find your way into geek circles through local boardgame or roleplaying groups. They tend to be a crowd who understands liking things that are often seen as being "immature" hobbies.  Through a local boardgames group I know people in their thirties who collect star wars lego and transformers comics and are proudly enthusiastic about it.  Local gaming shops also sometimes have evenings for boardgames, miniature painting and similar hobbies which might be another way to meet some of the right people.
I agree with you Hunni ^ --- board game/card clubs are becoming increasingly popular. Just comparing the people I'm friends with (though they are all nice), my friends that are more from the geek culture/graphic design group are WAY more inclusive/open/and chill in comparison to some of my high school friends. So yes the gaming/techy/art community (all forms) is, for the most part, a great place to find good friends. Another thing also would be communities within Tumblr or similar social sites, even though Tumblr was more popular years ago, I still use it to track my personal fitness journey - and the community for healthy fitness is great/supportive.

03.08.2018 15:43:53
PlatinumLoreigh
Level 29
Freethinkerland
03.08.2018 19:09:40
PlatinumLoreigh

Esuna wrote:
I'm 25 as well and I get what you mean in terms of feeling like you have the hobbies of somebody who is a teenager.

Are you actively trying to reach out to people but are getting shut down, or just not making the moves in order to get closer to people? I've dealt with my own depression, social anxiety and weakened self-esteem, but you have to remember that sometimes shutting down, and being difficult is not the best way to address things. People are not mind-readers, your best bet is to work on your ability to accept criticism and your ability to discuss concerns with people who are your friends/potential friends. I'm not saying this to make you feel bad, but it's something I've had to address in my own life. Why do I have limited social interaction - the problem was, in fact, myself not breaking down barriers/walls and shutting myself off rather than meeting my friends half way. 

The positive light at the end of the tunnel is that there are actually A LOT of people who have interests like you, at all age ranges. I'd encourage you to perhaps check out a fan expo, or comic con as it's not just centered around video games/anime etc, a lot of times its just people who are adults but kids at heart. Look up in your area to see if there are any adult colouring nights/paint nights. Where I live there are also things such as indoor trampoline parks, jungle gyms/obstacle courses etc that adults DO go to lol, in fact, I'm going this Sunday. There are also apps for your phone that can help you find friends based around your interests (I'll have to look up the name) but it's basically tinder for friendships only. Just have faith and be open, there are people just like you - it just takes bridging the gap to get there, which can seem impossible when dealing with lots of insecurity.
I do meet a lot of people, but I'm affraid of most people. Not because they look scary or whatever, but everyone can be judgemental about me or to me or against me. I once walked with a group of 4 (incl me) and we were playing PokemonGo (adults.. yes..) and we sat down somewhere to win a gym or something and there came more people. Next day we tried it again and after a while I got tired (we didn't even walk that far, but my feet hurt really fast..) so I walked away while telling them I couldn't go further. They asked me to come with them, but I said no. So on my way home (alone and with no music) I started crying the whole way! Just because I thought they hated me and were now talking behind my back etc. THis was 2 months ago and I start to feel like I need to stop contacting them. But I need them for the pokemons.. :(

I feel really lonely all day. Even when around people.

It's funny you mention the trampoline park and jungle gym, because that's what I would LOVE to do, but I don't dare to go alone.

03.08.2018 19:09:40
PlatinumLoreigh
Level 29
Freethinkerland
03.08.2018 19:13:37
PlatinumLoreigh

Hunni wrote:
I LOVE boardgames!!! And no one will ever play them with me..I don't even know groups who play, even though I do know a café specially made for boardgame meeting!

03.08.2018 19:13:37
Sandi Lut
Level 280
Sex Appeal: 25266470
Antitheocra
03.08.2018 19:32:15
Sandi Lut

People (especially strangers) will always find something to crtitisize you about. But I discovered must of it is just envy. Also if someone has a problem with me for being just me (being genuine) then it mostly is THEIR problem. I just let others judge me, I don't care. I only care about the opinions of my friends and loved ones. They know me, they understand me and they take me for who and what I am.
As for being like a little kid in your interests, I am 45 and I will not ever let my inner child go. My inner child keeps me young, open minded, happy and playful. I'd rather be friends with someone who is childish from time to time then be friends with a boring adult who thinks he/she knows it all and believes the time for playing is over. I too don't like to be around many people, because most people judge you in a second without even trying to get to know you or understand you.

The problem is not you dear Platinum Loreigh, it's the majority of (boring and judgmental) people. Be yourself and don't be afraid to put yourself out there. I amdire your courage and you are a courageous woman for opening up on here. Don't let ignorant people pull you down :)

03.08.2018 19:32:15
Happiness is inside yourself

Hunni
Level 34
Sex Appeal: 30039
Freethinkerland
03.08.2018 23:53:38
Hunni

Insecurity is a hard one, I'm constantly amazed by my friends who seem to be able to go in and out of any situation without every worrying that people didn't like them.  It's so easy to get stuck in your head about this stuff though.  If you're left with your thoughts long enough you can convince yourself of anything and blow all your worries way out of proportion.  Have you considered trying to visit a therapist?  It can be expensive but never underestimate the power of having someone to air with stuff to.  And as a bonus they're not connected to the rest of your life in any way so it doesn't matter what you say to them.

As for boardgames, try Facebook.  Near me there's a weekly board game night organised in via a Facebook group where people just turn up and group together for whichever game they want to play.

03.08.2018 23:53:38
I visited the patriarchy and all I got was this externalised sense of self worth.  And an uncomfortable tshirt.
Esuna
Level 46
Reasonopia
04.08.2018 03:12:57
Esuna

PlatinumLoreigh wrote:
I do meet a lot of people, but I'm affraid of most people. Not because they look scary or whatever, but everyone can be judgemental about me or to me or against me. I once walked with a group of 4 (incl me) and we were playing PokemonGo (adults.. yes..) and we sat down somewhere to win a gym or something and there came more people. Next day we tried it again and after a while I got tired (we didn't even walk that far, but my feet hurt really fast..) so I walked away while telling them I couldn't go further. They asked me to come with them, but I said no. So on my way home (alone and with no music) I started crying the whole way! Just because I thought they hated me and were now talking behind my back etc. THis was 2 months ago and I start to feel like I need to stop contacting them. But I need them for the pokemons.. :(

I feel really lonely all day. Even when around people.

It's funny you mention the trampoline park and jungle gym, because that's what I would LOVE to do, but I don't dare to go alone.

I've gone through what you are going through where you are constantly around people but feel so disconnected/lonely at the end of the day as if you are not making connections. I think this is your insecurities coming through. The thing is about social anxiety is that it puts you in this state of mind where you are convinced that you are an inconvenience always to everyone else, and they are saying bad things about you etc or thinking it. The truth is most people are indifferent or don't care - my theory is ... of the total people you have met/encountered/are family/friends etc/EVERYONE - 5% truly love and care about you on a deep level, UNDER 1-2% really dislike you if that (unless someone is toxic then it might be more), leaving probably 46-47% who just like you as a person, and another 46% who are just indifferent because they don't know you at all. But we just hone in on that 1-2% that dislike us and are anxious about the 46% that are indifferent. 

If you find this to be a consistent problem in your life then you may need to talk to a therapist. For reference, it took me 4-7 years of depression/feeling inadequate before I broke down and went to therapy. We all are our biggest worst enemy!

04.08.2018 03:12:57

Please LOGIN to post a reply.

Ximboland asks you to accept cookies for performance, social media and advertising purposes. Social media and advertising cookies of third parties are used to offer you social media functionalities and personalised ads. To get more information about these cookies and the processing of your personal data, check our Privacy & Cookie Policy.
For more information on Google's privacy policy please see here. By continuing to browse you consent to our cookies.
OK

Cookies and Policy

Cookies Policy

Ximbolands uses cookies on https://ximbo.land. By using the Service, you consent to the use of cookies.

Our Cookies Policy explains what cookies are, how we use cookies, how third-parties we may partner with may use cookies on the Service, your choices regarding cookies and further information about cookies.

What are cookies

Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you.

Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies.

How Ximbolands uses cookies

When you use and access the Service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.

We use cookies for the following purposes: to enable certain functions of the Service, to provide analytics, to store your preferences, to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioral advertising.

We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service. We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.

Third-party cookies

In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.

What are your choices regarding cookies

If you'd like to delete cookies or instruct your web browser to delete or refuse cookies, please visit the help pages of your web browser.

Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.

Where can your find more information about cookies

You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Ximbo land ?
The Internet republic of Ximbo lands is the worlds first Internet republic.

What is its mission?
To unite the world.

Where is MissBimbo.com? Miss Bimbo was much better than this site.
The Internet republic of Ximbo land was created by Miss Bimbo herself and is its more intelligent successor. The old site was for junior bimbos. This site is for intelligent Ximbos.

What is the national flag of Ximbo land?
Ximbolands Flag

When was the Internet republic of Ximbo land founded

What is the capital city of the Internet republic of Ximbo land?
Bimbo City

How many states make up the internet republic of Ximbo land?
There are 6 states that make up the internet republic of Ximbo lands. They are ­ Atheistia, Freethinkerland, Reasonopia, Agnostica, Secville, and Antitheocra. Bimbo City is the neutral administrative capital and is its own city zone. Boob Island is the home of the President of the Internet republic of Ximbo land

What is a Ximbo citizen?
A ‘Ximbo’ or ‘Ximbo citizen’ is a member of the internet republic of Ximbolands community.

How can I become a Ximbo citizen?
In order to become a citizen of Ximboland you must first pass the Ximbolands citizens test. It is free to become a Ximbo citizen.

What is a Ximbo senator?
A Ximbo senator is a senior member of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. Only senators are eligible to put themselves forward for election to become State Ministers and then ultimately the Prime Ximbo.

Who is the Prime Ximbo?
The Prime Ximbo is the democratically elected head of the Internet republic of Ximbo land.

Where does the Prime Ximbo live?
The Prime Ximbo lives in the Pink House for the 4 month term they are in office.

I want to become Prime Ximbo. How do I do that?
Any Ximbo citizen can become Prime Ximbo using the democratic process. Its a 3 stage process from Senator>State Minister> Prime Ximbo. All Ximbo citizens can vote in general elections but in order to put themselves forward to become Prime Ximbo they must first become a Ximbo senator. All Ximbo senators are electable as state ministers. State Minister elections take place every 4 months also. Only state ministers are eligible to then become the Prime Ximbo.

Can I become Prime Ximbo more than once?
Yes ­ a Ximbo can hold the position of Prime Ximbo for 3 terms max.

How often do elections take place?
The Internet republic of Ximbolands holds elections every 4 months for Prime Ximbo and 4 months for State Minister.

Where do important discussions take place?
The Forum.

What is the treasury/Prime Ximbos salary?
The treasury/salary is the bank account of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. This figure is transferred to the paypal account of the Prime Ximbo at the end of their 4 month term in charge.

How is the treasury calculated?
The treasury is funded by the Ximbo citizens.
A percentage of the money paid by Ximbo citizens via Paypal and SMS is transferred into the Ximbo treasury. The rest is wisely used for further game development.

What's the national colour of Ximbo land?
Pink

How old must I be in order to become a Ximbo land citizen?
Anyone over the age of 18 are welcome to become a Ximbo citizen.

When are the national holidays of Ximbo land?
Jan 1st ­ New years day
Feb 12th ­ Darwin day
Feb 14th ­ Lovers day
March 8th ­ Womens day
March 21st ­ Spring solstice
April 13th ­ The Hitchslap Day (Christopher Hitchens birthday)
May 3rd ­ National day of reason
June 21st ­ World Humanist Day
Aug 2nd ­ The Internet republic of Ximbo land national day
Sep 21st ­ Peace one day
Dec 25th ­ Newtons birthday

What is the currency of Ximbo land?
The Ximbo Dollar (B$). Currently it is pegged in value to the US$

Who is the President of Ximbo land?
Miss Bimbo is the president of Ximbo land. She founded the bimbo nation in 2007 after escaping the tyranny, bigotry and and conservatism of the old world. You can read more about her here and here

Report a problem

Type name of the Ximbo you are looking for...