The New and Improved BL Bookclub

Created
Melpomene
Level 194
Sex Appeal: 5826959
Antitheocra
18.03.2023 17:45:15
Melpomene

It has been a while and the book has started fading from my memory a little, but I wanted to give Dorian one last look since I feel that is what it deserves. We’re going to potentially be moving to other topics after this, so I sent out a final feeler for a final discussion on the book. Regardless of what the future of the club has going for it, I’m going to give my own thoughts at least. Feel free to join me in these final ponderings on the picture of Dorian Gray (sorry if this ends being up very long :D):

Henry, the Devil, literally:

In hindsight, I keep wondering about Sir Henry’s motivations for corrupting Dorian. I suppose it is possible that he truly believed his on pseudo philosophical ramblings about morality and hedonism – but, for some reason, I always think that he did not. His whole character just feels as much a façade as his ideas seem colorful but empty within (just like chapter 11, where they eventually lead Dorian).

Then, also, maybe Henry does not need a motivation for his actions, as he kind of seems to represent a sort of a devil-esque temptation-giver in the novel. An older, world-wise man, who seems to have an almost supernatural understanding of human behavior and its consequences. Who can say just the right words to tempt Dorian, predict that Dorian would never marry Sibyl, who seems to follow all of this from afar with an almost malevolent amusement after setting it in movement. Perhaps I’m reading way too much into it – but that’s what I kept thinking about in relation to his character.

Makes me wonder what I should be thinking about the portrayal and role of Sir Henry’s wife – but maybe she is just there to give some other sort of commentary, and I shouldn’t let the devil allegory color everything about Henry. (Though I’m sure I could write an English Essay about it.)

At the beginning of the novel, I even sort of expected Henry to literally strike a deal with Dorian or cast a ritual or spell or something, cursing the portrait. But no, all of that sort of just… happened for some reason. But I think you can sort of still draw a parallel between Dorian becoming Henry’s “disciple” and this magical thing happening in his life.

Balancing between a fairy tale and a serious novel:

Other random details that I rather enjoyed about this book were some of the nods to the wider world, which were alluded to but not really explored much. Made it much more serious than I initially expected. Like the expansion to Sibyl’s mother’s POV, or the backstory of Dorians parents Sometimes these parts felt a little superfluous but, then, without them I feel that the novel would’ve felt a lot more like some sort of cautionary fairy tale with just a bare bones background. These little nodes of the world did really ground it more to reality and angst.

Although sometimes I felt like the book missed the mark a little trying achieve a more serious tone. It wasn’t really convincing to me when Wilde just sort of summarized Dorian’s depravity years later in chapters 11 and 12 – but I did really get a good idea of his ruthlessness through his conversations with Alan Campbell, the body-dissolving scientist. We never find out, what Dorian and he did together in the past, or what Dorian wrote on the paper to blackmail the guy with – but obviously it must’ve been really bad for Campbell to unalive himself over it (and the corpse disposal?) later on.

Gosh, if it isn’t a very powerful choice to keep that a secret though. One of those places where, I think, the readers own imagination is bound to come up with just the right amount of horrific and malevolent. Sometimes in books such as this when they really detail the actual reasoning for people’s actions, I feel that the characters act overly dramatically (for the situation) and can’t really emphasize with them. Speaking of which…

Sibyl, the tragic heroine:

Not to downplay her anguish or anything. Maybe it’s just the distance in time and culture but cannot understand hurting yourself over Dorian like Sibyl. Their few weeks old fresh romance does not seem like convincing reason for suicide, but then, we do not know all that happened in the relationship. Mayhaps something more took place there? A lady’s virtue was certainly more important in terms of her future. She could’ve had other mental health troubles before? But in terms of Dorian’s story, he did not know, and neither do we.

Then, I don’t know if Sibyl’s faith is supposed to across as realistic in the first place. As an actress, she is constantly compared to these Shakespearen tragic figures, who die these dramatic, unnecessary deaths – so it would make sense for her to be inspired by that (even to suicide) or to purposefully mirror that in the book. Like Blecky and I spoke earlier, her whole life is a little play-like. The romance between Sibyl and Dorian is very fast and overindulgent to a slightly ridiculous and fake degree (kind of like Romeo and Juliet or Hamlet and Ophelia I feel).

Dorian, too, afterwards treats Sibyl like an enjoyable yet tragic play, something that was scarring but entertaining. Something that becomes a little more than a footnote or a play he watched in his youth. Easier for him to think of it that way to protect his ego.

Your face reflects what you’re like inside:

Obviously, the portrait changing is the main idea behind this novel. When I construed reading this tho, I only really expected the portrait to grow older and not so much uglier. It’s not surprising exactly that there are several instances where portrait grows more “cruel” looking after Dorion does bad things as if “cruel” was a physical characteristic. Now usually, I have complicated thoughts about this mentality of “good people are beautiful” and “bad people are ugly”.

But I think the portrait in this book is at least partially depicting, not how Dorian would’ve turned out looking without it, but how he views himself unconsciously. If it weren’t for Basil being able to see the portrait also, I would’ve actually thought that all the changes to the painting might’ve been imaginary. Then, of course for Dorian to stay young in this universe, there does need to be actual magic – but clearly it’s tied into Dorian’s inner beliefs strongly.

I also wanted to say something about how much Dorian vs. Henry is to blame for Dorian’s actions. At what point Henry’s interference does not matter anymore, and it’s all just Dorian. Nature versus nurture. But I really don’t have steam for writing any more 

Other questions you might want to explore (which I stole off internet):

-         What is the nature of friendship in the book? Consider specifically Basil, Lord Henry, and Dorian as they relate to each other.

-         What does the novel reveal about racial and class prejudice in Wilde's era?

-         Is Lord Henry's belief in the freedom of the individual truly evil? Or does Dorian misconstrue it? Does Lord Henry actually practice the ideas he espouses? Does he understand the real life consequences his ideas would have, or does he exhibit a sort of naivete?

-         Dorian's scandalous behavior shocks his peers, yet he remains welcome in social circles? Why? What is Wilde suggesting about "polite" London society?

-         Discuss the ending: what does it mean?

The future of the Antitheocra Book Club is a little unclear at this moment. I find it a little hard to run when I don’t have a good idea of how much interest there really is. Ideally, I’d like to be done with Dorian, get some new people on board, and continue on with a new project. This has been quite fun (if a little inconsistent) and I'd hate to just give up on it!

If anyone is at all interested in taking over the reigns (the reminders, the scheduling, book picking), let me know!

18.03.2023 17:45:15

Furiously drawing new designs 

KatieBoutique
Level 266
Sex Appeal: 19279091
Reasonopia
27.03.2023 01:37:16
KatieBoutique

A fabulous summation Mel.  A+

27.03.2023 01:37:16
Katie Boutique
StrangeKindOfWoman
Level 94
Sex Appeal: 648701
Antitheocra
28.03.2023 06:42:47
StrangeKindOfWoman

Maybe we could put the book club in the "General Discussion" section to attract more members?

28.03.2023 06:42:47
I am always stressed out by not knowing how to act like a normal person
Melpomene
Level 194
Antitheocra
28.03.2023 06:51:04
Melpomene

Yes, I a 100% agree, and it would be good idea to advertise it a little too at that point. That's on the To Do list at the beginning of next month. 

Also, thank you Katie ^^

28.03.2023 06:51:04

space_pirate666
Level 57
Sex Appeal: 147025
Antitheocra
09.04.2023 20:20:34
space_pirate666

lovely! <3

09.04.2023 20:20:34
Vampire Fangs GIF - Vampire Fangs - Discover  Share GIFs
Melpomene
Level 194
Antitheocra
13.04.2023 15:00:12
Melpomene

You might’ve noticed (or not) but we’ve rebranded the book club a little. Rather than “Antitheocra Book Club~”, it is now called “The New and Improved BL Book Club~” in an effort to attract more members all around BL. We’re currently in the process of finding new members, so is you can think of anyone who might be interested, feel free to point them in the direction of our little thread.

Also, as we’re now finished with Dorian for good, feel free to leave suggestions for a new book in the thread. You can also leave your previous suggestion if you’d like.

Here’s a tentative (subject to change) schedule for our next project:
April 13th - April 18th Taking suggestions for a new book

April 19th - April 22nd Poll: Picking the new book

April 23rd to Early May Reading first segment of the book

Early May to Late May Discussing first segment and reading the next segment

By End of May Ideally finish the book and start final discussions

Let’s take the lessons we (mostly I) learned from the first round, and have a better paced experience this time around!

13.04.2023 15:00:12

space_pirate666
Level 57
Sex Appeal: 147025
Antitheocra
13.04.2023 15:54:26
space_pirate666

i remember blecky suggested  Charles Dickens 'A Christmas carol' .
its long way to go till xmas but im all for this book, anyone else?

13.04.2023 15:54:26
Vampire Fangs GIF - Vampire Fangs - Discover  Share GIFs
LillyAnn
Level 235
Sex Appeal: 10829780
Freethinkerland
13.04.2023 20:13:33
LillyAnn

A Night in the Lonesome October
   ~Roger Zelazny

It's a short novel but very fun and imaginative, with many human and animal characters. It's divided in 32 chapters, one introductory and the rest 31 represent each day of October.

Beside the fact that it indeed pulls the reader in the mysterious world of old magic and Great Old Ones it is also easy to follow the story from chapter to chapter and to divide it in reading sections based on weeks or however you see it fitting. 

httpscdndiscordappcomattachments8215843228373483621096163277878333520iupng

Apr 14th - Puzzle piece 3
httpscdndiscordappcomattachments109407293770906011310965138161556604383png

13.04.2023 20:13:33

Welcome new bimbos & himbos ❣   

I identify as transparent, pronounces who/where
(don't take this seriously, because if you do it's your own fault)

Melpomene
Level 194
Antitheocra
13.04.2023 20:53:17
Melpomene

Oh, those both sound like fun! A shorter story (or a collection) might be a good call indeed based on the last round

I think I would like to read something by H.P. Lovercraft. Call of Cthulhu maybe? Shady man, but I've always been kind of curious about what all the fuzz is about

13.04.2023 20:53:17

LillyAnn
Level 235
Sex Appeal: 10829780
Freethinkerland
13.04.2023 20:59:01
LillyAnn

Oh, he is wonderful! He also has a lot of stories, both shorter and longer. I am about to read him again, especially stories because they are easier to fit the daily schedules.

Apr 15th - Puzzle piece 14
httpscdndiscordappcomattachments1094072937709060113109651408043037907814png

13.04.2023 20:59:01

Welcome new bimbos & himbos ❣   

I identify as transparent, pronounces who/where
(don't take this seriously, because if you do it's your own fault)

Please LOGIN to post a reply.

Ximboland asks you to accept cookies for performance, social media and advertising purposes. Social media and advertising cookies of third parties are used to offer you social media functionalities and personalised ads. To get more information about these cookies and the processing of your personal data, check our Privacy & Cookie Policy.
For more information on Google's privacy policy please see here. By continuing to browse you consent to our cookies.
OK

Cookies and Policy

Cookies Policy

Ximbolands uses cookies on https://ximbo.land. By using the Service, you consent to the use of cookies.

Our Cookies Policy explains what cookies are, how we use cookies, how third-parties we may partner with may use cookies on the Service, your choices regarding cookies and further information about cookies.

What are cookies

Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you.

Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies.

How Ximbolands uses cookies

When you use and access the Service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.

We use cookies for the following purposes: to enable certain functions of the Service, to provide analytics, to store your preferences, to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioral advertising.

We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service. We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.

Third-party cookies

In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.

What are your choices regarding cookies

If you'd like to delete cookies or instruct your web browser to delete or refuse cookies, please visit the help pages of your web browser.

Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.

Where can your find more information about cookies

You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Ximbo land ?
The Internet republic of Ximbo lands is the worlds first Internet republic.

What is its mission?
To unite the world.

Where is MissBimbo.com? Miss Bimbo was much better than this site.
The Internet republic of Ximbo land was created by Miss Bimbo herself and is its more intelligent successor. The old site was for junior bimbos. This site is for intelligent Ximbos.

What is the national flag of Ximbo land?
Ximbolands Flag

When was the Internet republic of Ximbo land founded

What is the capital city of the Internet republic of Ximbo land?
Bimbo City

How many states make up the internet republic of Ximbo land?
There are 6 states that make up the internet republic of Ximbo lands. They are ­ Atheistia, Freethinkerland, Reasonopia, Agnostica, Secville, and Antitheocra. Bimbo City is the neutral administrative capital and is its own city zone. Boob Island is the home of the President of the Internet republic of Ximbo land

What is a Ximbo citizen?
A ‘Ximbo’ or ‘Ximbo citizen’ is a member of the internet republic of Ximbolands community.

How can I become a Ximbo citizen?
In order to become a citizen of Ximboland you must first pass the Ximbolands citizens test. It is free to become a Ximbo citizen.

What is a Ximbo senator?
A Ximbo senator is a senior member of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. Only senators are eligible to put themselves forward for election to become State Ministers and then ultimately the Prime Ximbo.

Who is the Prime Ximbo?
The Prime Ximbo is the democratically elected head of the Internet republic of Ximbo land.

Where does the Prime Ximbo live?
The Prime Ximbo lives in the Pink House for the 4 month term they are in office.

I want to become Prime Ximbo. How do I do that?
Any Ximbo citizen can become Prime Ximbo using the democratic process. Its a 3 stage process from Senator>State Minister> Prime Ximbo. All Ximbo citizens can vote in general elections but in order to put themselves forward to become Prime Ximbo they must first become a Ximbo senator. All Ximbo senators are electable as state ministers. State Minister elections take place every 4 months also. Only state ministers are eligible to then become the Prime Ximbo.

Can I become Prime Ximbo more than once?
Yes ­ a Ximbo can hold the position of Prime Ximbo for 3 terms max.

How often do elections take place?
The Internet republic of Ximbolands holds elections every 4 months for Prime Ximbo and 4 months for State Minister.

Where do important discussions take place?
The Forum.

What is the treasury/Prime Ximbos salary?
The treasury/salary is the bank account of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. This figure is transferred to the paypal account of the Prime Ximbo at the end of their 4 month term in charge.

How is the treasury calculated?
The treasury is funded by the Ximbo citizens.
A percentage of the money paid by Ximbo citizens via Paypal and SMS is transferred into the Ximbo treasury. The rest is wisely used for further game development.

What's the national colour of Ximbo land?
Pink

How old must I be in order to become a Ximbo land citizen?
Anyone over the age of 18 are welcome to become a Ximbo citizen.

When are the national holidays of Ximbo land?
Jan 1st ­ New years day
Feb 12th ­ Darwin day
Feb 14th ­ Lovers day
March 8th ­ Womens day
March 21st ­ Spring solstice
April 13th ­ The Hitchslap Day (Christopher Hitchens birthday)
May 3rd ­ National day of reason
June 21st ­ World Humanist Day
Aug 2nd ­ The Internet republic of Ximbo land national day
Sep 21st ­ Peace one day
Dec 25th ­ Newtons birthday

What is the currency of Ximbo land?
The Ximbo Dollar (B$). Currently it is pegged in value to the US$

Who is the President of Ximbo land?
Miss Bimbo is the president of Ximbo land. She founded the bimbo nation in 2007 after escaping the tyranny, bigotry and and conservatism of the old world. You can read more about her here and here

Report a problem

Type name of the Ximbo you are looking for...