gea13

04.01.2020 13:44:34

Rose Diamond Louboutin
Level 46
Sex Appeal: 76053
Secville
04.01.2020 16:52:20
Rose Diamond Louboutin

Unveiling the Edge of Time by John Gribbin! A fascinating read for those interested in Astro/quantum physics! 

04.01.2020 16:52:20
secville citizens, check out the playlist thread in the forum! https://bimbo.land/forum/secville-playlist/t6062#post_556385
craigslist-stripper
Level 213
Sex Appeal: 7667336
Agnostica
04.01.2020 19:40:00
craigslist-stripper

Moved from "What are you reading? (audiobooks count too!)", originally posted at 2019-12-27 07:35:45
right now i am reading the animorphs series!! i never read them as a child, in fact i was quite terrified of them due to a german audiobook experience (dont know german dont know why my mom got me the german animorphs audiobook but being 8 and turning on my CD player to just listen to a girl urgently speaking german and making drowning noises was enough to make me avoid the whole series)

however i received one of the books in a subscription box full of thrift store junk and i read it and well.. i am hooked now. i am kind of reading them out of order since i like read physical books and finding all the animorphs is hard since they havent been in print for like 15 years. but i am reading the first third of the series now and will start buying the later books once i have all those down

Victoria Siempre wrote:
Currently listening through Little Women since the movie just released. It's been a while since I've read any of it and its such a powerful novel that I think everyone should give a read, especially if you enjoy classic literature.

I put my Wheel of Time audiobook series on hold for it, also highly recommended if you like tropey fantasy. I think it's beautifully written and the audio book series on Audible is really well done.
my dad gave me all of his wheel of time books when he moved out of state.. i have really been meaning to read them but seeing the whole series, which takes up a shelf by itself, is a little intimidating. i like fantasy but.. how does your recommendation go beyond "if you like fantasy" - what do you like about them specifically? my dad just told me the "magic system is really good" but thats.. not enough to get me to read a whole bookshelf's worth of pages haha i wanna know what makes the story good. any insight you have would be appreciated, as you're not a 60 year old man

04.01.2020 19:40:00

Victoria Siempre
Level 17
Sex Appeal: 4369
Atheista
04.01.2020 19:40:20
Victoria Siempre

Moved from "What are you reading? (audiobooks count too!)", originally posted at 2019-12-27 08:33:52
It has a really rich world and follows several characters through their own different quests. There's a recurring theme of the characters being cogs of destiny, like one character might be halfway across the map from another and feel the ripples of that character's actions. If you have an eye for themes and tropes you can see where some things are going but it's always satisfying to see a plot lock into place. The author's use of voice is spectacular you can tell different characters apart just from the ways that they talk which is, in my opinion, the mark of a great writer. The vernacular of each character belies things about their upbringing or personality and the author makes a point to explicitly state the accent of some characters that if you're paying attention you'll know what some of their cultural values are.

That being said, the characters are fantastic and likeable. You start out with a very small cast, focused on a single protagonist but as his quest unfolds were introduced to other characters who then become protagonists in their own right. The books flow between protagonists well, adding more and more members to the cast (where I am currently there's I think 4-5 concurrent plotlines unfolding around I think 8-9 protagonists). It is a little intimidating to keep track of everyone but the author does a good job of making sure that each plotline moves along concurrently so there are natural stopping places when he switches perspectives. Each character feels like a real person, fleshed out with traits and flaws and their relationships with each other feel realistic.

Romance takes center stage some times, (did I mention its a coming-of-age story too) it plays a significant role for almost every character at some point, but it doesn't feel like it's been hamfisted in. Most of the romance scenes are actually interesting in their own right.

The magic system is pretty fantastic, I won't spoil how it works but it's very satisfying when a character uses magic, it's not just "I cast a fireball and it blows up the guy," it has its place in the setting and magic battles are thrilling in their own right.

It's fairly tropey, but for a fantasy story that's pretty par-for-the-course. I think that it hits so many of the right keys that using tropes is not bad at all. In fact it  probably makes the story a little easier to digest, lol.

It just feels very satisfying to read because things lock into place. It feels like a whole and complete world with characters who are dynamic and interesting. The friendships, rivalries, and romances of the book are a major theme and the characters all play off of each other so well. It's an intimidating read (I'm only on the fifth book, Fires of Heaven) and there's some vocabulary learning that takes place but it's all gradual and there's always some new plot brewing just as you think things are winding down.

04.01.2020 19:40:20

craigslist-stripper
Level 213
Agnostica
04.01.2020 19:40:44
craigslist-stripper

Moved from "What are you reading? (audiobooks count too!)", originally posted at 2019-12-27 09:50:53
youve definitely interested me :) you've convinced me from a literary standpoint, as i'm super into the nicely connecting plots and the uses of voice. i dont mind if its tropey at all, and i am a sucker for a nice romance.. i will pull the first book off my shelf and will give it a read when i need to take a break from my computer.. youve genuinely interested me enough to give the first book a try :)

ive also just realized i never explained why i like animorphs so much, i was too eager to ask about wheel of time.. the descriptions of the morphings are very interesting and detailed, thats what got me hooked, but i guess that's beside the point now haha

04.01.2020 19:40:44

Victoria Siempre
Level 17
Sex Appeal: 4369
Atheista
04.01.2020 19:41:02
Victoria Siempre

Moved from "What are you reading? (audiobooks count too!)", originally posted at 2019-12-27 10:02:53
I think i started an animorphs book when I was in elementary school, but I was already too into the Harry Potter series at the time lol. It's on my radar because I've heard it's got a surprisingly deep plot, I might need to check it out.

04.01.2020 19:41:02

craigslist-stripper
Level 213
Agnostica
04.01.2020 19:41:27
craigslist-stripper

Moved from "What are you reading? (audiobooks count too!)", originally posted at 2019-12-27 10:13:05
Victoria Siempre wrote:
I think i started an animorphs book when I was in elementary school, but I was already too into the Harry Potter series at the time lol. It's on my radar because I've heard it's got a surprisingly deep plot, I might need to check it out.

yes the lore runs deeper than expected with animorphs haha, it's ultimately an alien war story, and has lots of heavy themes surrounding the cost of war as a result. i highly recommend them, and they're all very short so theyre super easy to tear through :)

04.01.2020 19:41:27

PIXIEEE
Level 40
Sex Appeal: 50235
Freethinkerland
04.01.2020 19:41:46
PIXIEEE

Moved from "What are you reading? (audiobooks count too!)", originally posted at 2019-12-27 17:33:33
Tje power of now! Is a great great book! You should try it! ♥ 

04.01.2020 19:41:46
Dick McHung
Level 23
Sex Appeal: 9392
Freethinkerland
04.01.2020 19:42:11
Dick McHung

Moved from "What are you reading? (audiobooks count too!)", originally posted at 2019-12-27 17:59:16
Hmm I'm not reading these currently, but I really liked The Catcher In The Rye. It's a pretty good classic. The plot is where Holden Caulfield, a very angsty teen who is failing school and got kicked out of his school, struggles with his mentality and leaves his home so his parents don't find out that he got kicked out of school for failing. I kinda don't remember too much but once you get into it, it becomes really interesting. There are a few profanites ad such in the book too, but it's good.
I've also heard that The Outsiders is good, but then again I never read that one so idk much about it.

04.01.2020 19:42:11
LISTEN UP, Y'ALL
 'CUZ THIS IS IT
THE BEAT THAT I'M BANGIN' IS
DELICIOUS
craigslist-stripper
Level 213
Agnostica
04.01.2020 19:42:30
craigslist-stripper

Moved from "What are you reading? (audiobooks count too!)", originally posted at 2019-12-27 23:00:35
Dick McHung wrote:
Hmm I'm not reading these currently, but I really liked The Catcher In The Rye. It's a pretty good classic. The plot is where Holden Caulfield, a very angsty teen who is failing school and got kicked out of his school, struggles with his mentality and leaves his home so his parents don't find out that he got kicked out of school for failing. I kinda don't remember too much but once you get into it, it becomes really interesting. There are a few profanites ad such in the book too, but it's good.
I've also heard that The Outsiders is good, but then again I never read that one so idk much about it.
catcher in the rye is an excellent coming of age story, as it deals a lot with the loss of youthful innocence & nostalgia you feel for a simpler time when you were a young baby. i think that it's themes and sentiments can be really impactful today especially as society forces kids to grow up faster and faster..

the outsiders is similar in theme but, in my opinion, is a little easier to read. catcher in the rye is just 3 days of monologuing from holden and while it's excellent stuff to think about it can get a little boring at times. but the outsiders is a shorter book that covers a longer period of time & the plot moves along at a good pace. like i said it is also a coming of age story, in the same way that youth was kind of ripped away from the main characters, even if they toed the line of "innocence" to begin with

highly recommend both as well though :)

04.01.2020 19:42:30

Please LOGIN to post a reply.

Ximboland asks you to accept cookies for performance, social media and advertising purposes. Social media and advertising cookies of third parties are used to offer you social media functionalities and personalised ads. To get more information about these cookies and the processing of your personal data, check our Privacy & Cookie Policy.
For more information on Google's privacy policy please see here. By continuing to browse you consent to our cookies.
OK

Cookies and Policy

Cookies Policy

Ximbolands uses cookies on https://ximbo.land. By using the Service, you consent to the use of cookies.

Our Cookies Policy explains what cookies are, how we use cookies, how third-parties we may partner with may use cookies on the Service, your choices regarding cookies and further information about cookies.

What are cookies

Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you.

Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies.

How Ximbolands uses cookies

When you use and access the Service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.

We use cookies for the following purposes: to enable certain functions of the Service, to provide analytics, to store your preferences, to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioral advertising.

We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service. We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.

Third-party cookies

In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.

What are your choices regarding cookies

If you'd like to delete cookies or instruct your web browser to delete or refuse cookies, please visit the help pages of your web browser.

Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.

Where can your find more information about cookies

You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Ximbo land ?
The Internet republic of Ximbo lands is the worlds first Internet republic.

What is its mission?
To unite the world.

Where is MissBimbo.com? Miss Bimbo was much better than this site.
The Internet republic of Ximbo land was created by Miss Bimbo herself and is its more intelligent successor. The old site was for junior bimbos. This site is for intelligent Ximbos.

What is the national flag of Ximbo land?
Ximbolands Flag

When was the Internet republic of Ximbo land founded

What is the capital city of the Internet republic of Ximbo land?
Bimbo City

How many states make up the internet republic of Ximbo land?
There are 6 states that make up the internet republic of Ximbo lands. They are ­ Atheistia, Freethinkerland, Reasonopia, Agnostica, Secville, and Antitheocra. Bimbo City is the neutral administrative capital and is its own city zone. Boob Island is the home of the President of the Internet republic of Ximbo land

What is a Ximbo citizen?
A ‘Ximbo’ or ‘Ximbo citizen’ is a member of the internet republic of Ximbolands community.

How can I become a Ximbo citizen?
In order to become a citizen of Ximboland you must first pass the Ximbolands citizens test. It is free to become a Ximbo citizen.

What is a Ximbo senator?
A Ximbo senator is a senior member of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. Only senators are eligible to put themselves forward for election to become State Ministers and then ultimately the Prime Ximbo.

Who is the Prime Ximbo?
The Prime Ximbo is the democratically elected head of the Internet republic of Ximbo land.

Where does the Prime Ximbo live?
The Prime Ximbo lives in the Pink House for the 4 month term they are in office.

I want to become Prime Ximbo. How do I do that?
Any Ximbo citizen can become Prime Ximbo using the democratic process. Its a 3 stage process from Senator>State Minister> Prime Ximbo. All Ximbo citizens can vote in general elections but in order to put themselves forward to become Prime Ximbo they must first become a Ximbo senator. All Ximbo senators are electable as state ministers. State Minister elections take place every 4 months also. Only state ministers are eligible to then become the Prime Ximbo.

Can I become Prime Ximbo more than once?
Yes ­ a Ximbo can hold the position of Prime Ximbo for 3 terms max.

How often do elections take place?
The Internet republic of Ximbolands holds elections every 4 months for Prime Ximbo and 4 months for State Minister.

Where do important discussions take place?
The Forum.

What is the treasury/Prime Ximbos salary?
The treasury/salary is the bank account of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. This figure is transferred to the paypal account of the Prime Ximbo at the end of their 4 month term in charge.

How is the treasury calculated?
The treasury is funded by the Ximbo citizens.
A percentage of the money paid by Ximbo citizens via Paypal and SMS is transferred into the Ximbo treasury. The rest is wisely used for further game development.

What's the national colour of Ximbo land?
Pink

How old must I be in order to become a Ximbo land citizen?
Anyone over the age of 18 are welcome to become a Ximbo citizen.

When are the national holidays of Ximbo land?
Jan 1st ­ New years day
Feb 12th ­ Darwin day
Feb 14th ­ Lovers day
March 8th ­ Womens day
March 21st ­ Spring solstice
April 13th ­ The Hitchslap Day (Christopher Hitchens birthday)
May 3rd ­ National day of reason
June 21st ­ World Humanist Day
Aug 2nd ­ The Internet republic of Ximbo land national day
Sep 21st ­ Peace one day
Dec 25th ­ Newtons birthday

What is the currency of Ximbo land?
The Ximbo Dollar (B$). Currently it is pegged in value to the US$

Who is the President of Ximbo land?
Miss Bimbo is the president of Ximbo land. She founded the bimbo nation in 2007 after escaping the tyranny, bigotry and and conservatism of the old world. You can read more about her here and here

Report a problem

Type name of the Ximbo you are looking for...