Author
Cum_Dumpster
Cum_Dumpster
Level 131
Sex Appeal: 1775413
Freethinkerland
11.03.2020 02:40:09
Cum_Dumpster

Alright first, I know we have a couple of books/reading threads already, but I wanted one specifically dedicated to nonfiction, so I hope that's alright.
When I'm not gobbling up fanfiction, I adore nonfiction books. I have so many books on my to-read list and the vast majority are all nonfiction! That being said, I'm pretty much always looking for MORE BOOKS to get myself into, as I love reading about quite a wide variety of topics! I'm not sure how many of you are also nonfiction lovers, but I would love to swap recommendations and here about what you thought of them.
I'll get the ball rolling with a first recommendation:
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach
I found it interesting, entertaining, and informative. It's actually been a while since I've read this one as well, so I might actually give it a quick re-read.

11.03.2020 02:40:09
ChumDumpster's wife irl  
Update 2022: Site has been soured for me so I took a break. Still not certain about coming back...
Freia Dysiac
Level 31
Sex Appeal: 22042
Atheista
11.03.2020 05:09:12
Freia Dysiac

Memoirs of an Addicted Brain: A Neuroscientist Examines his Former Life on Drugs by Marc Lewis. It's a really great autobiography that touches on mental health, addiction, neuroscience, and is primarily set in the 1970s. Marc Lewis is now a professor of neuroscience, but in his youth he was addicted to many different drugs and went through some really difficult life experiences, which he recounts in beautiful prose. He'll explain the things he was going through, then analyze it with his knowledge of neuroscience. Some of that part goes over my head, lol, but he explains it in a very accessible way. It really makes the reader empathize with the experience of a person who is mentally ill or addicted. I originally read it for a class, but I'm rereading it because it was so touching and is a surprisingly engaging read!

11.03.2020 05:09:12
TokiKonoe
Level 264
Sex Appeal: 18641077
Freethinkerland
11.03.2020 12:11:55
TokiKonoe

I read alot of non-fiction biographies. Right now I'm reading a book called "Voices from Chernobyl" by Svetlana Aleksijevitš  (Svetlana Alexievich) a Nobel Laureate 2015. The book is easy to read, as it contains monologues by people who experienced Chernobyl disaster one way or another (also HBO series Chernobyl took few stories from this book) but the context itself is really heavy and I cried already on the first 50 pages. It's totally worth to read. 

Also if you are interested in human rights (in this case women's rights), I would recommend you to take a look of books by Xue Xinran. I recently read her book called Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother: Stories of Loss and Love. In this book Xinran has collected stories from Chinese mothers who have given up their baby girls to adoption, abandoned them or have them killed right after birth (you know about China's politics and that's the reason why these things happened). It's really eye-opening book. 

These are the current ones I have been reading and that come in to my mind, but here is a list of others. They are quite heavy context books, biographies as well:

Anne Franks Diary by Anne Frank
A thousand miles to freedom: My escape from North Korea by Eunsun Kim
A river in darkness: One man's escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa
My story (contains all three chapters: The boy called it, The lost boy, A man named Dave) by Dave Pelzer
With dance shoes in siberian snows by Sandra Kalniete

11.03.2020 12:11:55
Cum_Dumpster
Level 131
Sex Appeal: 1775413
Freethinkerland
15.03.2020 03:08:28
Cum_Dumpster

All of these sound like really great reads! I can't wait to get started :D
On the topic of memoirs and biographies, there is one I haven't read in a while that I'm thinking about re-reading, it's actually pretty lighthearted and humorous for the most part. It's called Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte, and it's basically told by a husband who's wife became enamored with all kinds of animals and adopted them one by one until he basically had his own strange flock.

15.03.2020 03:08:28
ChumDumpster's wife irl  
Update 2022: Site has been soured for me so I took a break. Still not certain about coming back...
Doreen
Level 22
Sex Appeal: 8306
Agnostica
16.03.2020 05:34:42
Doreen

Enslaved By Ducks sounds really good! I'll have to check it out. 

One book that I thought was interesting is Flesh Wounds by Virginia Blum, it has different perspectives on cosmetic surgery. some sections are more interesting than others and the author is quite biased against surgery but it was definitely a thought-provoking read. I found it free online somewhere. 

16.03.2020 05:34:42
TokiKonoe
Level 264
Freethinkerland
31.03.2020 20:43:41
TokiKonoe

It's me again! 
I just started an another book by Xue Xinran and want to share it with you. (I mentioned one of her books in my previous post and it was a really good read as well).
This book is called The good women of China and it is her first book. I haven't read the entire book yet but I can totally recommend this to you already. Xinran is a Chinese journalist, author and speaker.  It is a heartbreaking collection of interviews and letters of Chinese women during 1980's when she worked in radio. 

Here is something that wikipedia says about the book, I think it describes its context quite well:
"This book attacked key issues such as infanticide, son-preference, suppression of sexuality, homosexuality, and the sexism embedded in culture and society. For this reason, Xinran had to leave China in order to write the book, which was published in Britain....
...In The Good Women of China, Xinran sheds light both on the persistence of oppression of women in China as well as the new opportunities for women in modern Chinese society. Drawn mainly from anecdotes and interviews, and sparsely substantiated by historical facts and statistics, this book takes on important issues without resorting to a black-and-white view of the situation. "

The Good Women of China Hidden Voices

31.03.2020 20:43:41
TokiKonoe
Level 264
Freethinkerland
13.07.2020 09:49:58
TokiKonoe

Hi, me here, once again! Lately I have had plenty of time for reading, so I decided to stop by and share one of my new favorite books:
And I don't want to live this life: A Mother's story of of Her daughter's murder by Deborah Spungen

This book tells about Nancy Spungen, the girlfriend of Sid Vicious from band Sex Pistols. Nancy was murdered only aged 20 in Hotel Chelsea. Deborah Spungen, her mother, wrote this book and told Nancy's story from her point of view. When Nancy was born, she had some complications and never stopped screaming, as a toddler she attacked people and as she grew older things went even more difficult for Nancy and the family. Spungens took Nancy to different doctors, therapists, boarding schools... but didn't get any real help. Nancy got familiar with drugs and lived troubled life. Later Nancy moved to London and met Sid Vicious....
And I Dont Want to Live This Life A Mothers Story of Her

13.07.2020 09:49:58
CinnamonSugar
Level 160
Sex Appeal: 3224374
Freethinkerland
13.07.2020 11:27:14
CinnamonSugar

The last two books I read were memoirs:
 Innocent by Barbara Morrison
West Til Dawn by Beyl Markham

I also own Amelia Earhart's memoirs/journals and would recommend them. 

13.07.2020 11:27:14
“If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.” ~Stephen Fry
Living with depression? Connect with others at the Mental Health Check-in.
Princess Isla
Level 30
Sex Appeal: 20416
Freethinkerland
13.07.2020 11:43:04
Princess Isla

I’m currently reading Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City  by Matthew Desmond and I’m thoroughly enjoying it despite it being a difficult read (difficult subject matter, not particularly difficult language-wise). It’s non-fiction and follows the lives of residents in Milwaukee as they struggle to pay their rent in the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis. I studied politics so really enjoy reading books like this to humanise the issues I’ve learned about. 

13.07.2020 11:43:04
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
she/her
CinnamonSugar
Level 160
Sex Appeal: 3224374
Freethinkerland
14.07.2020 01:20:07
CinnamonSugar

Looking through my bookshelf...

Another good read is The Freedom Writers Diary which is written by high school students discussing their experiences  with gangs, racial tension, gun violence,  drugs, poverty, etc.

Little Princes by Conor Grennan is about his experience volunteering in an "orphanage" in Nepal. But the kids there aren't really orphans.  Most of them just got separated from their parents because of child trafficking. (Human trafficking is a sad thing but it is good to to aware of these things.)

14.07.2020 01:20:07
“If you know someone who’s depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn’t a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.” ~Stephen Fry
Living with depression? Connect with others at the Mental Health Check-in.

Please LOGIN to post a reply.

Ximboland asks you to accept cookies for performance, social media and advertising purposes. Social media and advertising cookies of third parties are used to offer you social media functionalities and personalised ads. To get more information about these cookies and the processing of your personal data, check our Privacy & Cookie Policy.
For more information on Google's privacy policy please see here. By continuing to browse you consent to our cookies.
OK

Cookies and Policy

Cookies Policy

Ximbolands uses cookies on https://ximbo.land. By using the Service, you consent to the use of cookies.

Our Cookies Policy explains what cookies are, how we use cookies, how third-parties we may partner with may use cookies on the Service, your choices regarding cookies and further information about cookies.

What are cookies

Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you.

Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies.

How Ximbolands uses cookies

When you use and access the Service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.

We use cookies for the following purposes: to enable certain functions of the Service, to provide analytics, to store your preferences, to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioral advertising.

We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service. We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.

Third-party cookies

In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.

What are your choices regarding cookies

If you'd like to delete cookies or instruct your web browser to delete or refuse cookies, please visit the help pages of your web browser.

Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.

Where can your find more information about cookies

You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Ximbo land ?
The Internet republic of Ximbo lands is the worlds first Internet republic.

What is its mission?
To unite the world.

Where is MissBimbo.com? Miss Bimbo was much better than this site.
The Internet republic of Ximbo land was created by Miss Bimbo herself and is its more intelligent successor. The old site was for junior bimbos. This site is for intelligent Ximbos.

What is the national flag of Ximbo land?
Ximbolands Flag

When was the Internet republic of Ximbo land founded

What is the capital city of the Internet republic of Ximbo land?
Bimbo City

How many states make up the internet republic of Ximbo land?
There are 6 states that make up the internet republic of Ximbo lands. They are ­ Atheistia, Freethinkerland, Reasonopia, Agnostica, Secville, and Antitheocra. Bimbo City is the neutral administrative capital and is its own city zone. Boob Island is the home of the President of the Internet republic of Ximbo land

What is a Ximbo citizen?
A ‘Ximbo’ or ‘Ximbo citizen’ is a member of the internet republic of Ximbolands community.

How can I become a Ximbo citizen?
In order to become a citizen of Ximboland you must first pass the Ximbolands citizens test. It is free to become a Ximbo citizen.

What is a Ximbo senator?
A Ximbo senator is a senior member of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. Only senators are eligible to put themselves forward for election to become State Ministers and then ultimately the Prime Ximbo.

Who is the Prime Ximbo?
The Prime Ximbo is the democratically elected head of the Internet republic of Ximbo land.

Where does the Prime Ximbo live?
The Prime Ximbo lives in the Pink House for the 4 month term they are in office.

I want to become Prime Ximbo. How do I do that?
Any Ximbo citizen can become Prime Ximbo using the democratic process. Its a 3 stage process from Senator>State Minister> Prime Ximbo. All Ximbo citizens can vote in general elections but in order to put themselves forward to become Prime Ximbo they must first become a Ximbo senator. All Ximbo senators are electable as state ministers. State Minister elections take place every 4 months also. Only state ministers are eligible to then become the Prime Ximbo.

Can I become Prime Ximbo more than once?
Yes ­ a Ximbo can hold the position of Prime Ximbo for 3 terms max.

How often do elections take place?
The Internet republic of Ximbolands holds elections every 4 months for Prime Ximbo and 4 months for State Minister.

Where do important discussions take place?
The Forum.

What is the treasury/Prime Ximbos salary?
The treasury/salary is the bank account of the Internet republic of Ximbo land. This figure is transferred to the paypal account of the Prime Ximbo at the end of their 4 month term in charge.

How is the treasury calculated?
The treasury is funded by the Ximbo citizens.
A percentage of the money paid by Ximbo citizens via Paypal and SMS is transferred into the Ximbo treasury. The rest is wisely used for further game development.

What's the national colour of Ximbo land?
Pink

How old must I be in order to become a Ximbo land citizen?
Anyone over the age of 18 are welcome to become a Ximbo citizen.

When are the national holidays of Ximbo land?
Jan 1st ­ New years day
Feb 12th ­ Darwin day
Feb 14th ­ Lovers day
March 8th ­ Womens day
March 21st ­ Spring solstice
April 13th ­ The Hitchslap Day (Christopher Hitchens birthday)
May 3rd ­ National day of reason
June 21st ­ World Humanist Day
Aug 2nd ­ The Internet republic of Ximbo land national day
Sep 21st ­ Peace one day
Dec 25th ­ Newtons birthday

What is the currency of Ximbo land?
The Ximbo Dollar (B$). Currently it is pegged in value to the US$

Who is the President of Ximbo land?
Miss Bimbo is the president of Ximbo land. She founded the bimbo nation in 2007 after escaping the tyranny, bigotry and and conservatism of the old world. You can read more about her here and here

Report a problem

Type name of the Ximbo you are looking for...