Treasury (B$):

"About Ray" Movie Rage

Created
Author
Remi
Level 1
Sex Appeal: 284
Remi
Okay so if none of you have heard about it "About Ray" is a movie coming out in September about a trans guy. Which for me personally is a huge incredible win and I should be happy right? Nope.

Now the first problem was the fact they cast the trans lead with a cis girl (a girl who was born a girl and identifies as a girl).
Okay admittedly this annoyed me but its not the end of the world. They really could have at least TRIED or opened the casting up so trans people could audition for the role.. but that's just how it is I guess.
(If you don't get why its so bad - imagine someone writing a story about black people and black struggles and black life and casting a white actor with a white director and white writers. It just doesn't make any sense.)

But even after that I was still up for seeing the movie because we need the representation.

AND THEN..

http://www.dailylife.com.au/dl-people/dl-entertainment/about-ray-director-gaby-dellals-problematic-e...
In an interview with Refinery29 on Monday, the film's director Gaby Dellal attempted to explain her decision. Unfortunately, it comes across as rather uninformed on what being transgender actually means. Not least because the director uses female pronouns to refer to Ray throughout.
"The part is a girl and she is a girl who is presenting in a very ineffectual way as a boy," Dellal says. Oof.
"She's not pretending to have a deeper voice. She's just a girl who is being herself and is chasing the opportunity to start hormone treatment. So to actually use a trans boy was not an option because this isn't what my story is about."
It seems that despite making a movie about a transgender boy she doesn't have the faintest idea what that actually means... or at least she doesn't understand how to express it in language. And that's a real problem.

This happens.
The director and writer of the movie talks about how Ray the trans male character, is actually female and refers to him as a female constantly. This is not okay. This is the furthest thing from okay.

Now here's the kicker.

If I /don't/ support the movie because of the transphobia, its gonna be a long time before we get a movie that accurately represents trans people. Why? Because if this movie flops people will decide that stories about trans people 'aren't profitable'. 

I ask you guys to support this movie for me because we need the representation even though its not a very good one. Because if this works then maybe we will have a shot of better representation in the future! Yes I'm upset about how this movie has been handled. But I am hopeful. Because trans men have been invisible for a long time in the media. They need something even if its awful to get things moving in the right way. So please support this movie, but don't forget about its problematic side too!
19.08.2015 10:57:10
Secville's renowned Designer!
Level 15
Sex Appeal: 2538
Married with: Bebe92583
F*** buddies with: Miss-Losia , Tigreeye , Helena Noir
BambiDoll
I will probably still go and see this movie, despite those dodgy comments made by the director.
If she's talking about a character who is a trans guy and identifies as male, why is she using female pronouns? I think that's definitely the worst bit! I just don't understand why you wouldn't know these things if you're trying to make a film or tell a story that's going to be opening the eyes of many people to how it feels to be trans. It's sad because she's failing to give trans people the correct representation. ugh.

One film I definitely won't be watching is Stonewall. Because (if you hadn't already heard) they've basically whitewashed a really important event in LGBT history for Hollywood, making a white male character the one who threw the first brick. It was actually a black trans woman, Marsha P. Johnson, who did this in real life. If you're trying to make this great LGBT film, HOW and WHY would you change something as important as that.
19.08.2015 17:17:29
Level 1
Sex Appeal: 284
Remi
BambiDoll wrote:
I will probably still go and see this movie, despite those dodgy comments made by the director.
If she's talking about a character who is a trans guy and identifies as male, why is she using female pronouns? I think that's definitely the worst bit! I just don't understand why you wouldn't know these things if you're trying to make a film or tell a story that's going to be opening the eyes of many people to how it feels to be trans. It's sad because she's failing to give trans people the correct representation. ugh.

One film I definitely won't be watching is Stonewall. Because (if you hadn't already heard) they've basically whitewashed a really important event in LGBT history for Hollywood, making a white male character the one who threw the first brick. It was actually a black trans woman, Marsha P. Johnson, who did this in real life. If you're trying to make this great LGBT film, HOW and WHY would you change something as important as that.
Oh god yeah I heard about that, I literally cannot believe they did that! In fact there was several major trans women and poc's involved in stonewall but nah lets hand the role to a white guy, WHITE GUY COMES AND SAVES THE DAY AGAIN! I mean they've been whitewashing for years despite so many people complaining but this takes the cake. This is actual history and not a book.

This is why movie producers cant be trusted with lgbt+/mogai characters...

On the director she was literally writing a story about lesbians and then suddenly decided WAIT NO LETS MAKE IT A TRANS GUY out of the blue and tried to change the story. Without actually knowing anything about trans people.

I really cant stand people writing stories about characters lives they personally don't understand. How could it ever be accurate if you don't even know anything about it?

20.08.2015 14:37:32
Secville's renowned Designer!

Please LOGIN to post a reply.

Bimboland is registered trademark of Blighty Ltd company no 2552313 | Terms and conditions  | F.A.Q.  | Report a problem Back to top ↑
Bimbo.land uses cookies to provide an optimal experience.
By continuing to browse you consent to our cookies.
OK
Learn More

Cookies and Policy

Cookies Policy

Bimbolands uses cookies on https://bimbo.land. By using the Service, you consent to the use of cookies.

Our Cookies Policy explains what cookies are, how we use cookies, how third-parties we may partner with may use cookies on the Service, your choices regarding cookies and further information about cookies.

What are cookies

Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the Service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the Service more useful to you.

Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies.

How Bimbolands uses cookies

When you use and access the Service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.

We use cookies for the following purposes: to enable certain functions of the Service, to provide analytics, to store your preferences, to enable advertisements delivery, including behavioral advertising.

We use both session and persistent cookies on the Service and we use different types of cookies to run the Service. We may use essential cookies to authenticate users and prevent fraudulent use of user accounts.

Third-party cookies

In addition to our own cookies, we may also use various third-parties cookies to report usage statistics of the Service, deliver advertisements on and through the Service, and so on.

What are your choices regarding cookies

If you'd like to delete cookies or instruct your web browser to delete or refuse cookies, please visit the help pages of your web browser.

Please note, however, that if you delete cookies or refuse to accept them, you might not be able to use all of the features we offer, you may not be able to store your preferences, and some of our pages might not display properly.

Where can your find more information about cookies

You can learn more about cookies and the following third-party websites:

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Bimbo land ?
The Internet republic of Bimbo lands is the worlds first Internet republic.

What is its mission?
To unite the world.

Where is MissBimbo.com? Miss Bimbo was much better than this site.
The Internet republic of Bimbo land was created by Miss Bimbo herself and is its more intelligent successor. The old site was for junior bimbos. This site is for intelligent bimbos.

What is the national flag of Bimbo land?
Bimbolands Flag

When was the Internet republic of Bimbo land founded

What is the capital city of the Internet republic of Bimbo land?
Bimbo City

How many states make up the internet republic of Bimbo land?
There are 6 states that make up the internet republic of Bimbo lands. They are ­ Atheistia, Freethinkerland, Reasonopia, Agnostica, Secville, and Antitheocra. Bimbo City is the neutral administrative capital and is its own city zone. Boob Island is the home of the President of the Internet republic of Bimbo land

What is a bimbo citizen?
A ‘bimbo’ or ‘bimbo citizen’ is a member of the internet republic of Bimbolands community.

How can I become a bimbo citizen?
In order to become a citizen of bimbolands you must first pass the Bimbolands citizens test. It is free to become a bimbo citizen.

What is a bimbo senator?
A bimbo senator is a senior member of the Internet republic of Bimbo land. Only senators are eligible to put themselves forward for election to become State Ministers and then ultimately the Prime Bimbo.

Who is the Prime Bimbo?
The Prime Bimbo is the democratically elected head of the Internet republic of Bimbo land.

Where does the Prime Bimbo live?
The Prime Bimbo lives in the Pink House for the 4 month term they are in office.

I want to become Prime Bimbo. How do I do that?
Any bimbo citizen can become Prime Bimbo using the democratic process. Its a 3 stage process from Senator>State Minister> Prime Bimbo. All bimbo citizens can vote in general elections but in order to put themselves forward to become Prime Bimbo they must first become a bimbo senator. All bimbo senators are electable as state ministers. State Minister elections take place every 4 months also. Only state ministers are eligible to then become the Prime Bimbo.

Can I become Prime Bimbo more than once?
Yes ­ a bimbo can hold the position of Prime Bimbo for 3 terms max.

How often do elections take place?
The Internet republic of Bimbolands holds elections every 4 months for Prime Bimbo and 4 months for State Minister.

Where do important discussions take place?
The Forum.

What is the treasury/Prime Bimbos salary?
The treasury/salary is the bank account of the Internet republic of Bimbo land. This figure is transferred to the paypal account of the Prime Bimbo at the end of their 4 month term in charge.

How is the treasury calculated?
The treasury is funded by the bimbo citizens.
A percentage of the money paid by bimbo citizens via Paypal and SMS is transferred into the bimbo treasury. The rest is wisely used for further game development.

What's the national colour of Bimbo land?
Pink

How old must I be in order to become a bimbo land citizen?
Anyone over the age of 18 are welcome to become a bimbo citizen.

When are the national holidays of Bimbo land?
Jan 1st ­ New years day
Feb 12th ­ Darwin day
Feb 14th ­ Lovers day
March 8th ­ Womens day
March 21st ­ Spring solstice
April 13th ­ The Hitchslap Day (Christopher Hitchens birthday)
May 3rd ­ National day of reason
June 21st ­ World Humanist Day
Aug 2nd ­ The Internet republic of Bimbo land national day
Sep 21st ­ Peace one day
Dec 25th ­ Newtons birthday

What is the currency of Bimbo land?
The Bimbo Dollar (B$). Currently it is pegged in value to the US$

Who is the President of Bimbo land?
Miss Bimbo is the president of Bimbo land. She founded the bimbo nation in 2007 after escaping the tyranny, bigotry and and conservatism of the old world. You can read more about her here and here

Report a problem

Type name of the Bimbo you are looking for...